Brake pad wear indicator
If you are looking to maintain your vehicle, it is very important to identify problems before they become serious. The brakes are one of the most important systems on your car, so it is very important that you can recognize and identify potential brake problems before they put you in danger. You don’t need to be an auto mechanic or expert to recognize these symptoms. Discovering a brake problem early can help avoid more costly repairs in the future.
Symptoms of possible brake failure
- Noise – Noise associated with your brakes can be a bad thing. It is always a good idea to get your brakes checked whenever you hear noises coming from your brakes. There are many things that can cause brake noise including brake pad failure, dust buildup or the wear indicator touching the brake rotor. If you hear any brake noises, please schedule a free brake inspection as soon as possible.
- Brake pedal pulsation– If you feel a vibration or pulsation when you apply the brakes, it is a sign that you may have a warped brake rotor. Do not hesitate to get your brakes inspected
- Soft or squishy brake pedal– A soft brake pedal may indicate that there is air in the braking system, or it could be a sign that your brake master cylinder is failing. A soft brake pedal is a symptom that should not be ignored. Often times a good cleaning and adjustment on a drum brake system will restore the pedal feel
- Pulling– If your car pulls to the left or right while you are braking, this is an indication that you should have your brakes inspected. This may be a sign of a failing brake caliper, or air in the brake system. A free brake inspection can determine the cause.
- Brake pedal is firm or hard to push– A firm brake pedal is a sign that you are having problems with the braking system, often the brake master cylinder.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is best to have your brakes inspected by a trusted auto repair shop. For brake repairs, timing belts and general auto service in Lake Oswego or Beaverton give Clutch & Brake Doctors auto repair a call